Delft charger c.1760.

Item Ref

A well painted tin-glazed and attractive Delft charger, c.1760, probably Lambeth.
As is usual with delftware there are minor frittings to the rim; a hair-crack running around the bowl has been secured with handmade rivets. This was a skilled task and shows that at the time of the repair the charger was highly valued.
13.5 inches in diameter.
PROVENANCE: Yorkshire private collection for the last 45 years.
£135

Portrait of Martha Clay (nee Rowley) c.1735; ...

Item Ref
9156

Oil on canvas, the sitter depicted within a fashionable feigned stone oval, all within a very fine carved giltwood 18th century frame: probably painted to commemorate the sitter's wedding to Richard Clay.
This charming provincial portrait bears a label verso, dated 1940, naming the sitter as Susannah Clay, but it is much more likely to be Martha, Susannah's mother. As it often the case, when portraits pass down the generations in a family, identities become confused. Susannah was not born until 1739 and the sitter is an adult in the mid 1730s and wearing the fashions of that time.
Susannah was the daughter of Richard and Martha Clay (nee Rowley); there was a son, Rowley, born in 1738, another daughter Tryphenia born 1741-died 1742, and Martha born 1742. They lived in a large house called "The Hill" in North Wingfield, Derbyshire.
"Looking at the note on the back of the portrait it says Susannah Clay nee Rowley married Richard Clay of "The Hill", but as we know Susannah was the daughter of Richard and Martha baptised 26th Feb.1739; so as we know that is a mistake, also I note that it says gt,gt,gt of ECB which may well be because the daughter Susannah Clay married Thomas Bradley at North Wingfield in 1768. It could be that this same couple were the parents of Susannah, daughter of Thomas and Susannah Bradley baptised 15th March 1771 at nearby Shirland. If there were more Bradleys from that line perhaps that is what ECB is relating to one of the Bradleys." (Our thanks to David Clay).

The Clays are an ancient Derbyshire family, dating from the 1200s. One of the prominent Clay families in the parish lived at a place called “The Hill” in North Wingfield and in 1558 John Clay of “The Hill” left a will in which he mentions his wife Ellen and sons Thomas Clay and John Clay, and again in 1558 James Clarke instructs in his will that the farm at “The Hill” in North Wingfield, that he rents from Mr Revill, is to go to (his daughters husband) Nicholas Ludlam. By 1633 Francis Clay of “The Hill” is listed as a “Freeholder of Land” and by this time had acquired ownership of the farm. In his will of 1644 his sons are John, Francis and William. John Clay of “The Hill” left a will in 1680 and is listed as a yeoman farmer, there is a date stone in the barn with the initials “F + K.C. 1693” (Francis and Katherine Clay). The Clay's ancient house at “The Hill” is still there today and has recently been turned into hotel accommodation under the name of “Hagg Hill Hall”. (Information from the website 'Clay of Derbyshire.)

SIR GODFREY KNELLER was the most distinguished painter of baroque portraits in England.
Born in Lubeck, he trained with Rembrandt, coming to London in 1676.
By 1679 he had painted the King and remained the most famous and successful portrait painter in England until his death.
In 1688 he was made Principal Painter to the King and was knighted in 1692 and a made a baronet in 1715.
His style had a profound influence on British portraiture which continued after his death, and a large number of artists emulated his style.

SIZE: 36.75 x 30.75 inches inc. frame.
PROVENANCE: by descent in the family in Derbyshire.
£3,250

Pencil/pen holders made from the woodwork of ...

Item Ref

These are two extremely evocative maritime items. NOTE: They may be purchased individually.
RMS MAURETANIA is a magical name for collectors of maritime memorabilia. Mauretania was an ocean liner designed by Leonard Peskett and built by Wigham Richardson and Swan Hunter for the Cunard Line, launched on the afternoon of 20 September 1906. She was the world's largest ship until the completion of RMS Olympic in 1911. Mauretania became a favourite among her passengers. She captured the Eastbound Blue Riband on her maiden return voyage in December 1907, then claimed the Westbound Blue Riband for the fastest transatlantic crossing during her 1909 season. She held both speed records for 20 years.
Mauretania was scrapped in 1935; she arrived at Rosyth in Scotland at about 6 am on 4 July 1935 during a half-gale, passing under Forth Bridge. By 6:30 am she passed the entrance to the Metal Industries yards under the command of Pilot Captain Whince. A lone kilted piper was present at the quayside, playing a funeral lament for the popular vessel. It was reported to author and historian John Maxtone-Graham that upon the final shut-down of her great engines, she gave a dark "final shudder...". Mauretania had her last public inspection on 8 July, a Sunday with 20,000 in attendance, with the monies raised going to local charities. Scrapping began shortly after and with great rapidity. Unusually, she was cut up afloat in drydock, with a complex system of wooden battens and pencil marks to monitor her balance. In a month her funnels were gone. By 1936 she was little more than a hulk, and she was beached at the tidal basin at Metal Industries and her remaining structure was scrapped by 1937.
The demise of the beloved Mauretania was protested by many of her loyal passengers, including President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who wrote a private letter against the scrapping.
SIZE: 3 inches tall.
PROVENANCE: in one family since purchased in 1935.

HMS GANGES was an 84-gun ship of the line of the Royal Navy, launched on 10 November 1821 at Bombay Dockyard, constructed from teak. She is notable for being the last sailing ship of the Navy to serve as a flagship, and was the second ship to bear the name.
Admiralty orders of 4 June 1816 directed her to be built as a facsimile of HMS Canopus (the ex-French ship Franklin, which had fought at the Battle of the Nile). Building began in May 1819, under the direction of master shipbuilder Jamsetjee Bomanjee Wadia.
She was commissioned at Portsmouth in 1823, and served in several locations over the following decades. Notable events included a period as flagship of the South America Station for three years, during which she landed Royal Marines in Rio de Janeiro after a mutiny by Brazilian soldiers. She also saw action in the Mediterranean from 1838 to 1840, bombarding Beirut and blockading Alexandria.
She was finally taken out of service in 1923, and transferred to the dockyard; in 1929, she was sold for breaking up. The following year, after over a century in service, she was finally broken up at Plymouth.
Upon breaking, some of the timber was used to make souvenirs, usually having a small plaque with some of the ship's history attached.
SIZE: 3.25 inches tall.
PROVENANCE: In one family since purchased in 1930.
Images of the vessels from Wikipedia.

£135